Electric bicycles have become the fastest growing segment of the bicycle industry. While standard pedal bike sales are either flat or falling in nearly every category, electric bicycles continue to see double or triple digit percentage growth year over year.
With their ease of use and thrilling performance, ebikes are drawing more and more first riders. If you’ve been considering getting your own electric bicycle but don’t know where to begin, then this guide is for you!
- Where to begin?: The inside is just as important as the outside – a beautiful bike is no good to anyone if it doesn’t perform as required. That’s why before even thinking about watts and amperes, you should answer these questions:
- how often will you be using the e-bike?
- what kind of distances will be covered?
- how tall are you and how much do you weigh? Make no mistake, an e-bike is heavy: from 17 to 25 kg.
- will you be carrying baggage?
- will you be transporting children?
- are you going to carry your bike in the trunk of a car or on public transport?
- Learn about the battery: The estimated battery range of electric bicycle may vary depending on your route, your weight, your level of assistance, the number of stops.It is interesting to look at some of the technical characteristics of the battery: Higher amperage = higher range (The higher it is, the longer will be the range.) Also, Higher voltage = more assistance (The higher the voltage (V) of the e-bike, the greater assistance will be available to you on hills.) The composition is also important to decide: Lithium or Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) is preferred. These newer batteries are lighter, less costly and last longer. Furthermore, you should, when possible, choose a removable and lockable battery. This will make it easier for you to recharge you electric bicycle!
- Check the type of brakes: The best quality and safest brakes are hydraulic brakes. You could also go for a motor brake: this system recovers the energy when you brake to recharge the battery.
- Try before you buy: Get a test drive first, that way you can make sure you are comfortable with the design, specs and experience that the e-bike can provide to you. Remember, this is your first time!
If you are looking to join the eco hype and getting a new e-bike, you can pop into our OnBoards store for a free test ride and get a closer look at all of our products. Our specialists will gladly take their time to help you out with all your doubts and recommend what best suits your needs